Followers

Sunday 1 August 2010


I'm not blind. I know that it's possible that we will be still feeding Seth his meals when he's 40, or still changing his nappy. But that way is the way to madness. Not that the thought doesn't strike me sometimes. When Seth is showing new awareness or skill then it's easy, but when that development pauses as it inevitably does, that's when the fear creeps in. I hate that as soon he gets in his chair he rocks back and forth. It's not enough that he shrieks with delight because I want him to be delighted by the toy on the tray in front of him. But then as I'm typing this Seth has stopped bouncing and is talking and reaching out to touch the toy. He's looking at it and in an instant my fears move back to the shadows. He IS aware of things around him and he IS trying to interact with them. Moving his own body is simply still much easier. But...if in the end Seth doesn't move on 'cognitively' as I'm warned over and over again by the 'professionals' I hope I can find peace with that. Right now though I'm back in a fighting mood.

3 comments:

  1. I am lost for words when I read your posts. All I can without wanting to sound trite is that I wish you, Craig and Seth happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decided not to 'lurk' in the shadows on this blog - it's brilliantly inspirational and moving :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo - what can I say?.... except that with the support of you and Craig I believe that Seth can't fail to reach his full potential. I guess (with reference to your next instalment) it is very difficult to predict sometimes exactly what progress will be made when you are talking about children (despite labels) and I am very blessed to say that I am so very often happily surprised by the childen that I work with. I hope that you can continue in fighting mode as long as you need to, Louise (a professional who does try to get it)

    ReplyDelete