Followers

Friday 10 September 2010

I feel like I'm fighting all these battles and this week I'm exhausted by it. Seth's mobility is improving - although he still doesn't move independently his doesn't fight against being rolled anymore, he mostly enjoys it and will even move his arms to help. My goal now is for him to start bearing weight with his arms and hands and we're starting to see the first glimmer of this. Then there's communication. I try to sign and use consistent language all the time and Seth will often vocalise or sign enough that I can understand his needs. However, when he is off his game (or maybe it's me that's off?!) he just shrieks at me or he'll sign that he wants a drink but then will refuse it and then start shrieking. My patience degenerates really quickly. If he were a child with no difficulties I wouldn't tolerate such behaviour. Seth's physio exclaimed last week how Seth seems to know exactly what you're asking of him. It was gratifying to hear that but so then he must also know when he's being naughty and completely winding mummy up?! Maybe he simply gets as frustrated as me! Maybe I'm pushing him too hard and not recognising when he's just tired and wants some time out? Or maybe he's just being a 2 year old little git. I've got hold of these recordable buttons and trying to work out how to use them. We've got a 'hello' button, a 'more' button and a 'finished' button. I haven't been using them consistently at all so I think I'm going to tie some sticky velcro (or something!) to his 'hello' button because it's never close by when he's being greeted and re-record the other 2 to 'yes' and 'no'. Maybe that will help...

2 comments:

  1. yup. me again.

    Have you got a Portage near you. We used them and they were a Godsend. Terri, our worker, got Ashley reaching out, then rolling, then crawling. It's home visit and only preschool so we lost her when he turned 3 and a half. try http://www.portage.org.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have portage - Seth goes to nursery 2 days a week so she comes in the guise of 'preschool teacher'. She mostly manages the nursery goal setting & reviews. She has really good ideas for communication and sensory-feely play. For the physical side we have physio (& we payed for private physio because community was too infrequent) and we attend Conductive classes but I still haven't managed to get Seth rolling or crawling yet. Got any tips?!

    ReplyDelete